With the holidays coming, who doesn’t love having a fast yet delicious appetizer recipe that can be ready at a moment’s notice? This lentil and feta dip comes together in a minute and is great with pita chips. After all, wouldn’t you rather be baking cookies? (Those of you who know me will understand what I mean. As much as I love making all sorts of dishes, my first love is making desserts. I promise to post some of my favorites in time for your holiday baking sessions.) That’s why this hearty crowd pleasing dip is great to have in your recipe files. Plus it’s vegetarian and can also be served as a side dish.
However, I digress….I first had this dip at a summer party for my wonderful BookSisters reading group. When my friend Suzanne said she’d be bringing lentil dip, I must admit I wasn’t thrilled. Boy, was I ever wrong! Today this is one of my go-to recipes. Based on Trader Joe’s 1-Minute Lentil Salad, it uses only three TJ’s products, which I now keep on hand. Our version takes slightly longer than one minute, because we serve it warm as a dip for pita chips.
All you do is mix the ingredients in a microwave serving bowl and zap for three to five minutes. The proportions aren’t sacred; I hadn’t looked at the original recipe and was using 1/2 package each of lentils and feta with 1/2 the jar of Bruschetta with good results. You can also personalize it by adding some spices or maybe trying a different cheese. Then grab the chips and dig in! You will be surprised at what a hit this simple dip is. The earthy lentils are the perfect base for the tangy feta and the fresh tastes of the bruschetta’s tomatoes, garlic, and basil. No one can believe how easy it is. It’s even healthy! Hey, it can be our little secret, right?
- 1 package Trader Joe's Steamed & Fully Cooked Lentils, 17.6 ounces, rinsed to remove extra sodium
- 8 ounces crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/2 jar TJ’s Bruschetta Sauce (6 oz)
- Pita or other chips for serving
Combine ingredients in microwave safe serving bowl and mix well, reserving a bit of feta cheese for garnish
Microwave on high for three to five minutes, checking at three minutes to see if it's heated through.
Serve with pita or other chips.
- This recipe makes a lot, so I often cut it in half.
- The leftovers keep for quite a while, and it's a good as a side dish or in a main-dish salad.
- I've never bothered to rinse the lentils and don't find the dip too salty.
- You can add a dash of red pepper flakes and some cumin to spice it up a bit.