In a measuring cup combine oil or melted butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar and stir well.
1. Options include coarsely chopped almonds, pecans, peanuts, walnuts, cashews, and pistachios. Hand-chop them for the best texture. Feeling lazy? Reach for the slivered or sliced almonds.
2. If desired, toast the nuts a bit while the oven is preheating and you are mixing the other ingredients. Watch them carefully do they don’t burn. I’ve had to throw out more than a few batches I did in the toaster oven.
3. Other spices and flavorings to consider include ground ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and orange zest.
4. Agave or honey are good, too.
5. About ¼ cup liquid egg whites from a carton equals one large egg white.
6. One of my favorites combinations is cranberries and chopped crystallized candied ginger. Raisins, dried apples, apricots, banana chips, figs, blueberries, cherries, and dates are other possibilities. To go tropical, choose from dried mango, papaya, pineapple, and macadamia nuts.
7. For a gluten-free version, use GF oats and sweeteners.